I chose to recreate this image from the Winter 2016 edition of Dazed magazine (http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/33828/1/winter-2016):
- Photographed by Collier Schorr
- One side her face has been lit by the flash
- Quite strong highlights and shadows
- Shadows are present below the creases in the shirt, and a shadow has been cast onto her shirt by her head.
- The highlights are on the side of her face, her ear, her hair and her shirt.
- Black and White
- Within the publication the portrait is part of an interview with Millie Bobby Brown and Finn Wolfhard. It is a full bleed page with no text around it. It has also been cropped slightly for the magazine with less space at the top and bottom.
- In print the image has come out darker than in the digital version, it’s contrast is higher and the background is much darker.
- I positioned my subject on a stool and against a black backdrop.
- I used a small soft box to light them on their right side
- The final photo was taken using a Canon 70D with a 50mm lens, f 6.3, 1/125, ISO 100.
- I used a black poly board on the right hand side of the subject in order to absorb light from the flash and prevent it from reflecting onto the side of the face that I wanted to be in shadow.
- I think that this might not have been as effective as I had hoped because I found it made the right hand side of her face extremely dark, whereas in the image I was trying to recreate there is a small amount of light on the subjects cheek and some of the white of her eye is visible.
- I also found that her eye was not as well lit as I hoped it would be.